What is Melody Smith Animation?
Melody Smith Animation provides an opportunity for classes to engage in the school curriculum in a fun and thoughtful way. It provides 'in school' workshops in animation tailored around the needs of the individual class and their current topic.
What better way than to learn than by getting involved in the fascinating world of animation?
How does animation help your class or school?
- is fun!
- encourages good collaboration;
- develops a multitude of skills;
- reflects the many different roles in the field of media;
- can be used for any subject in the curriculum;
- fits in well with a cross-curricular approach;
- can be used on many different levels, with a wide range of ages (KS1 to INSET);
- can be tailored to your needs depending on your focus and the required outcome;
- can aid expression;
- can be part of a G&T focus or a special needs programme;
- encourages both visualisation and study of the real world;
- unleashes your class's creativity and enthusiasm.
Really.. the ideas are limitless. Some suggestions for projects are listed here but the list is literally endless!
- transition projects between key stages and schools;
- INSET and/or clubs - to deliver a message or solve an issue within the school;
- mantle of the expert - learning through teaching;
- retelling a story (with either a book focus, an event being studied or an explanation);
- developing an understanding of a concept by visualisation;
...You must have some exciting ideas by now!
What do the workshops cover?
The workshops are tailored to your needs. A full day workshop will usually include:
- a basic introduction to the wonderful world of animation;
- creating storyboards for the animations (just like the creators of Wallace and Gromit);
- artwork for the animation, working with either 2D characters, 3D models or both!
- filming the animation.
If two or more classes get involved then it would be possible to do the introduction and set up the project with storyboards one day then return a few days later to film the artwork and add sound effects that your class has created in the interim period. Alternatively, a detailed project, including artwork, sound and animation advice could be done over a few days.
What do I get?
Melody Smith Animation provides the computer equipment and staging for up to 6 groups of children to work on an animation (recommended max group size = 5). Plasticine and other miscellaneous modelling equipment will be provided. Coloured paper, drawing equipment and any topic-based artefacts would be useful to have at hand. After the workshop, Melody Smith Animation will collate and edit the animations and make them available for download or provide a DVD containing the results of the day.
It is possible for Melody Smith Animation to provide DVDs for parents (a small charge will be required to provide this service for shorter workshops).
Melody Smith Animation is currently based in the northwest of England. Travel outside of this area may incur an extra charge.
Meeting the needs of the school, the class and the curriculum.
Schools need to provide a wide range of experiences for the children in their care. There is a growing requirement to get children more engaged in the traditional areas of the curriculum while developing competence in various technologies from a young age to provide a head start. The beauty of animation is that it can do just that. Melody Smith Animation can give the next generation a hands on experience of a growing industry which can be focused on any area of the curriculum. It involves cross-curricular and group work. It can be used in a 'Mantle of an Expert' as a means for children to put over their knowledge to others. The workshops provided by Melody Smith Animation can be adjusted based on the needs of the individuals in the classroom including previous experience and any special educational needs.
Who is Melody Smith?
Melody Smith (BSc (Hons), PGDE) is an experienced teacher who understands the need to engage children in a fun and meaningful way to facilitate learning. She has worked with a range of ages and is familiar with various classroom structures including Kagan Cooperative Learning.
You can email us at:
or follow the link to open in your default email: